Re: Backstory skills

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:19:37 +0000 (GMT)

Roderick Robertson wrote:

>>So, if my Heortling hunter has a year of road-working as experience in his
>>back-story (possibly the result of say a prince asking for work force
>>rather than cattle for tribute), how do I formulate the skill package
>>aquired during that activity? Make Cement might fall into this. Getting it
>>at cultural keyword level would be sufficient for the back-story, how to
>>account for that?

> Or (in my favored model) add a "Roadbuilding Crew" Keyword. {snip}

> If he spent a year at it, then I'd treat the keyword as if he "bought a
> skill for 1 HP": The KW Ability rating is 13. He can raise individual skills
> as normal. Another year on it would allow him to raise it via the "Advanced
> Experience" guidelines on page 178.

Would you consider raising the keywords faster than 1 pt per year as in advanced experience?

I have always assumed that this represents the speed of progression whist doing your daily tasks. If the heroes are taken out of the daily routine can they learn faster 2-3 pts per year?

The boys on the chain gang have no real incentive to learn but the guy who is getting a chance to advance himself towards his lifetime ambition would work harder and progress faster.