Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:32:17 GMT

In message <20070117004111.95167.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>> Donald:
>>
>> > I'd agree that upper class DH women are very unlikely
>> > to even learn how to use a dagger but in the rougher
>> > parts of the cities I'm sure many woman learn to
>> > use a knife or dagger for self defence.
>
>Trotsky:
>> It may well be that 'many' do... but a cultural
>> keyword (at least, as I
>> use and understand them) is about what 'almost
>> everyone' does, which isn't quite the same thing.
>
>And also about skills which are regarded as normal for
>that group. Those women learn to use a dagger
>*despite* being "Dara Happan female", not because of
>it. It's off their "sane human with self-preservation
>instincts" keyword :)

The proportion of women who have that ability depends on just how far down the social scale the Dara Happen ethos is reflected in practice. We know there is an underworld in the DH cities where anyone who can't protect themselves ends up dead. And we know there is a priviliged elite who can afford to employ others to protect them from the rougher elements of society. But what about the majority of people in the middle. How safe is it for someone to walk to work, the marketplace, the well? If someone is assaulted or robbed will the locals seize the criminal and haul them before the courts?

While we don't want to make it a rule that everyone has some combat skills, equally if someone needs those skills it makes no sense to deny them because the religious theory says they shouldn't have them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/