Re: Backstory skills

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:53:08 -0800

> Would you consider raising the keywords faster than 1 pt per year as in
> advanced experience?
>
> I have always assumed that this represents the speed of progression whist
> doing your daily tasks. If the heroes are taken out of the daily routine
> can they learn faster 2-3 pts per year?
>
> The boys on the chain gang have no real incentive to learn but the guy who
> is getting a chance to advance himself towards his lifetime ambition would
> work harder and progress faster.

At this point you're *far* into YGMV territory- it all depends on the needs of the game/story. If this is simply "I was a roadbuilder for a year 10 years ago" backstory, then no, probably not - after all, that's backstory, and if he really wanted to be a Roadbuilder instead of a Warrior, he should of taken "Roadbuilder" as his primary occupation keyword.

On the other hand, if this is a story about roadbuilders and building the first road to [pick a city, any city] then perhaps, or if it's a "Time passes and our hero learns skills and becomes the a Master" vignette like any cheesy '70's Kung Fu movie, or the "childhood of pushing a great wheel" of the Conan movie, then sure.

RR