Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:00:58 GMT

In message <45AE7480.3030009_at_...> Trotsky writes:

>OTOH, of course, just because it 'makes no sense' to follow a particular
>religious theory doesn't mean that there aren't several people who do
>exactly that! Whether in Glorantha or the real world...

I can't think of any religious theory which causes large numbers of people to act contrary to the practical requirements of the culture in which they live. Individuals certainly, small groups sometimes but bigger groups either pay lip service to the religious requirement or quietly drop it alltogether. What outsiders often fail to recognise is the practical requirements of the culture which support particular practices. So a Dara Happen women wears a veil in spite of the practical problems that causes because it sends a message that she is a respectable woman and means she will be treated respectfully.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/