RE: Re: Backstory skills

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:45:03 +0000 (GMT)

> However I can remember when almost all women could
> and did cook on
> a regular basis *in cities*.

But not cities where the buildings were closely packed and highly inflammable. Nor where the means of cooking was an *open* fire.

> Certainly there are some things which require
> particular equipment.
> For example breadmaking requires an oven but I'm
> sure the historical
> cooks among us can produce an alternative which can
> be cooked over an open fire.

Yes - given an open fire, I could. Bread baked in an oven would be considerably better, but I could. But you try lighting an open fire, on the top floor of a Roman block of flats, you'll have the land lord and the other tenants kicking you out, assuming you survive the experience in the first place.

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk