Keywords and Abilities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:14:19 -0800

(this might really be better for the HeroQuest-rules list, but it started on HeroQuest-RPG...)

Greg replies to Mike

> > Not sure if I'm being clear here. If I have three abilities
>listed under the
>> keyword, and they are all appropriate augments to a contest, can I augment
>> with them all? Or only once (making keywords somewhat like affinities in
>> this regard)?
>
>In my game? Once.

Hmm, it seems that a lot of you play rather differently than I do.

To me, the important thing for my character is not keywords, but abilities. (Especially since some of her defining traits are abilities like "Disrespectful of Authority" and not keywords "Heortling.") It's also the more more important aspect of the game, since you can improve abilities but not keywords.

So my character sheet lists abilities*, not keywords. I couldn't tell you if "Brave" comes from the Warrior keyword, the Heortling keyword, a religious keyword, or just personality. I can tell you it's not 17 any more.

I agree that you can't augment with a keyword more than once, but this essentially applies to NPCs (or perhaps HeroQuest Lite, as I've run for young beginners). Any normal hero is a collection of abilities, and you should be able to augment with each of them. I can't imagine trying to keep track of where each ability came from -- that would bog down the game. If Brave and Determined are both written on my character sheet**, I should be able to augment with both.

Again, an NPC doesn't have both written down. They just have Warrior, and in this case, remembering that Warrior includes both Brave and Determined would bog down the game. They should just get the Warrior augment.

Again, if you treat abilities as abilities, and not subject to keywords, it makes sense to improve any ability. It's worth increasing Brave if it fits your character, because it also helps in game terms. (You're not penalized for roleplaying.)

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein