Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:05:28 -0600

>From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

>>So a Dara Happen women wears a veil in spite of the practical problems
>>that
> > causes because it sends a message that she is a respectable woman and
> > means she will be treated respectfully.
>
>So that isn't a practical requirement at all.

Well, not to the women, no. It is a practical way of keeping the women in line, however. That is, I think he's saying that it doesn't go against the practical needs of the group that's in power in the culture - here meaning men. So you're agreeing. The question, then, is what the men would want the women to do regarding daggers.

Do they want them to keep them to protect themselves against other men? Or do they want them to be unarmed so they can't resist their husbands? I think either rationale works.

Mike

Get Hilary Duff�s homepage with her photos, music, and more. http://www.live.com/?addtemplate=hilary&ocid=T001MSN30A0701