Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:48:32 GMT

In message <20070117234155.8521.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>--- donald_at_... wrote:

>> I can't think of any religious theory which causes
>> large numbers of people to act contrary to the
>> practical requirements of the culture in which they
>> live.
>
>I can't think of many that don't....

Every time I've thought that, I've found a valid reason for the particular practice. The original reason may no longer apply and if it is not too onerous the practice may well be retained. If it is seen as too onerous it gets dropped.

>So that isn't a practical requirement at all. It's a
>"message", using a code that could have been chosen so
>as not to cause practical problems (wear a ring?
>choose from one of some practical hairstyles?), but
>instead was chosen so as to make her life awkward and
>keep the power in male hands. And she does it because
>she doesn't want to get beaten up or starved.

It's a practical requirement of the culture. And I won't let you get away with blaming it all on "the men" since it's usually women who are most inclined to decide and enforce such things. Social messages are important, they avoid lots of trouble and misunderstand between members of a community. Of course when different communities meet they are the source of problems because it's subconscious knowledge.

>Religion. Rarely makes sense, rarely practical,
>usually about a power-group using threats to keep
>their power, and imposing humiliating restrictions on
>anyone who isn't one of their power-group.

Religion and culture are not the same. Religion is often used as the justification for cultural practices but rarely determines them.

> At least the Orlanthi do less of that crap than most.

Oh the Orlanthi have just as much of that crap as anyone else. The ones in Sartar are worse than those elsewhere who've at least been exposed to civilisation. As any freethinking Lunar will tell you.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/