Re: Advice on Default Levels and Automatic Defeats

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:32:37 -0600

>From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
>But they can learn to swim, without magic, given the
>opportunity. A non-swimmer chucked into deep water may
>well figure out enough of the basics to survive. Most
>people (not all) can float naturally.

Actually it comes down 100% to body fat percentage. When I was young it mystified me how people could float at all. I sank like a rock, even with full lungs.

Now that I am older, and twice as heavy (though less dense), I know why.

I'd allow a character to use his "Fat 13" flaw to float, sure. I might even allow "Determined" to be used with a -15 or something. I'm sure there are other ways out of the problem.

I might even allow Swim at default. With a penalty due to the Can't Swim of -2, that's a 4.

There are always going to be judgment calls on this sort of thing, and situation will be telling. Is the water just over the character's head? Or really deep? Is there something they might grab onto? Hell, is it the Great Salt Lake outside of Salt Lake City? Then everybody automatically floats no roll needed!

I was pointing out the general principal by which you can apply in the case where a skill is "zero" and not "default." Not deciding that non-swimmers everywhere are zeros.

Mike

Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline