Need ideas for The End of The World

From: frank_rafaelsen <frank_rafaelsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:42:54 -0000

Hi

About ten years ago I ran a campaign set in Loskalm. The campaign told the story of how the Idealist state came under attack by the Kingdom of War. The basic idea of the campaign was that The Kingdom of War was created by Lord Death on a Horse to forge Loskalm into an organisation that would crush the heathens of Glorantha and bring the Word of The Prophet to the four corners of the world. Lord Death on a Horse saw himself as a martyr for the cause, and gladly dammed his immortal essence to fulfil his vision of the future. See the movie Seven for the original inspiration for this interpretation of KoW. Just magnify the horrible acts by a thousand fold, and you have my KoW.

The campaign was highly successful, but it eventually lost momentum as the heroic campaign turned more and more gritty. Eventually the campaign turned sour as the players kept on wanting to gloriously fight the KoW and I as a GM wanted to drive home the point that to defeat the KoW in war would mean becomming a Kingdom of War. And that would mean total defeat. And finally we just stopped playing. A truly anticlimatic end to one of the best campaigns I've ever run.

Over the years my players have repeatedly asked me to give them closure on this campaign. And now I'm going to do just that, using HQ. But I need ideas for how to pull it off. I still want to keep the basic idea that the KoW can not be defeated militarily, but I need a way that a handful of knights from Loskalm can be central in saving their country. I want it to be epic, earthshaking and final. And I need something I can play in one evening.

As you can see I have my work cut out for me. This is not going to be easy. It is going to damn hard. So any input on how to pull of this stunt is very, very welcome.

....help?