Re: Kalikos and the Icebreaker Quest

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:54:10 -0800 (PST)

     Thank you, Oliver, for that great link. I read it, and enjoyed it greatly. It unfortunately doesn't seem to be complete, though. Any chance of finding out the rest? The last words that I read are, "Mmmmmmm, probably slashed, then tried to burn their faces with my vambraces when the flankers charged. And used up Yanafal's"

     To everyone else, thank you all for the collected brainpower of the Digest. You're a great help.

     OK, so I relayed all this to my more imaginative half, 'cause he just doesn't subscribe. Over a tasty dinner (also courtesy of the aforesaid better half), we've come up with this:

     At some time during the Darkness, Elmal hears that the Fire Tribe are in dire danger from Valind and his horde. Their Fire magic is much weakened, and they need all the help they can summon. Elmal received permission from Orlanth to journey north to help, because the call of kin is sacred. A very few volunteer to travel with Elmal, to throw their weight against Valind. Vinga is one of these, as she has already proved her value in battle against the Ice God. Better by far to fight him where none of her own kin must be at risk.

     Elmal is secretly pleased to have Vinga on his side in this journey. He is, however, still rather a proud and stiffnecked god, and, what is more, is well aware of what his old companions would say if they knew he had brought a woman to the fight. "Gotten soft in your old age?", they'd jeer, "Poor Elmal, hiding behind a woman's skirts." So, he told Vinga that she'd have to pretend to be one of the many Thunder Brothers, or his rather traditional relatives wouldn't allow her to help. Vinga was not enamoured at the prospect, but she was realistic. She promised to stay in armour, stay as silent as possible, and fight under another name. She asked Elmal to introduce her as 'Kalikos', that is, 'Beautiful Spear', the name of her favourite javelin.

     Delighted to have extra arms in the battle against the killing cold, none of the men look too closely at this rather youthful warrior. Rather envied Elmal travelling with such a good-looking young man, if anything. "Kalikos, what an, ahh, appropriate name." they murmur. "And red hair, how auspicious!"

     The women do look hard, though, and there is quite some whispering among them. Vinga rather thought that the women might be trickier to fool, so she slipped over the wall of the women's compound late the first night, and told the elders everything. In return for the trust she shows them, they promise to make sure that no word of Vinga's true sex would be leaked to the men. Help is help, they agree, and a couple of them even thought it would be no bad thing for the women to realise that they needn't be be unable to fight for themselves.

     So, bringing things to a swift conclusion, battle is joined with Valind, his sons, and his followers. Vinga calls up the Defender's Wind, defeats Hend Valindsson in personal combat, and generally proves a pain in Valind's posterior. He decides that a strategic withdrawal is in order, and retreats north. Vinga is lauded for bravery and skill, and a victory banquet is held. Elmal and Vinga go home happy, and the northern men never find out just why their women always smile when Kalikos is mentioned.

     There's some handwaving involved, as I know the chronology doesn't quite square with what's published.  E.g., such as Vinga first showing her life-saving Defender's Wind against Valind during the Greater Darkness (p.168, Storm Tribe). There's no chance that Elmal would head off from Orlanth's Stead while Orlanth is away, and neither would Vinga, so I'd have to assume that Vinga had actually blasted Valind's butt somewhat earlier, before Orlanth left on the LBQ, or maybe this is something that happens at the end of the Greater Darkness, after Orlanth has returned, but before Yelm has fully recovered his powers. If anyone can suggest a more elegant way to smooth this out, please do!

     Most of the scanty references that I've seen to the Kalikos Icebreaker Quest mention priestesses performing the rites. This tied in with our Vingan hypothesis, but doesn't answer the question of how the Pentans learn the Quest. I have some vague idea of Vinga teaching one of the more independent women (perhaps Yelorna?) how to call the Defender's Wind, and leaving Kalikos with her. The men credit Kalikos with all the power, and name the Quest so.

     There's got to be some improvements possible, or perhaps something completely different has occurred to someone. Have at it!

Thanks, Alison

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#news