Re: Kalikos and the Icebreaker Quest

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:55:05 -0800

OK, the version I remembered is in Entekosiad -- a pre-finished work which is really only for serious Gloranthaphiles.

But the relevant bit is, "Kargzant called his hero to him, and he sent his son to the north. Kalikos was the hero." Kargzant is the great sun spirit of the horse nomads who once ruled Pelanda. I don't see any connection with Vinga.

FWIW, Kalikos is a "he" in the more accessible King of Sartar.

I do vaguely recall another mention which implied Kalikos was a female entity. I'd reconcile this the same way KoS seems to, by having the important hero of Kalikos be female (likely the person who introduced this cult to the Lunars was a woman).

And the other two Jumpers (Dawn Star and Dusk Star) are usually considered female.

Anyway, I would conclude: 1) Kalikos was NOT a Vingan. 2) A Vingan can perform the Kalikos quest.

--

David Dunham