Re: Odayla vs UrruYoo

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:13:30 GMT

In message <20070305120018.72882.qmail_at_...> Gavain Sweetman writes:

>I have some questions about the relationship between the Orlanthi,
>hunter cult - Odayla and the Lunar, Moon Bear, hunter cult - UrruYoo.
>
>Is UrruYoo a clone of Odayla, absorbed into the Moon Bear cult, or was
>UrruYoo there before? I ask because the two cults are very similar -
>they share two affinities and many feats.

According to ILH1 Odayla is also known as the Sky Bear or Star Bear to the Sylilans. Hwarin Dalthippa revealed that he has become the Moon Bear. So it was the same cult, probably with some local variations, but changed by becoming part of the Lunar way.

>The secondary question is this:
>
>If they are essentially clones then does the UrruYoo worshiper have
>access to animal spirits in the same way Odayla does, via Kolatings?

That depends if there are Kolatings in Sylila. However given that the Lunar way provides access to spirits without the penalties of misapplied worship I'd suggest there's a Lunar cult which provides equivelent access.

>The authorities have been very succesful in switching worshipers away
>from Odayla. This would suggest that there are few detrimental effects
>of switching ie loss of accumulated spirit charms. The swapping of a
>Hide affinity for Otherworld affinity would be a good thing especially
>for Sylila hunters living close to Dorastor.

Probably because it happened over several generations. I'd suggest as few as 5% of hunters converted at the time of the initial revealation. However a combination of practical incentives (tax concessons and special prices) and spiritual assistance (more preceptors than shamens to make charms available) will have gradually persuaded people to switch. The cult differences are probably marginal to most hunters.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/