Re: Re: Battle of Iceland

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:17:48 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, ttrotsky2 wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> The Battle's magical importance, in reactivating Orlanthi magic, is
> hard
>> for me to underestimate. It doesn't imply depopulation
>
> No, but the Fimbulwinter that preceded it does imply quite large scale
> depopulation to me. I suspect that was what Jane was referring to.

I knowthat the Fimbulwinter was meant, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm just not sure that it implies a large scale depopulation - to me it implies an averted depopulation. I think it talks about isolated groups deaths and large scale pressure, but it was a crisis that the cast majority survived, thanks to the Battle of Iceland.

Which might also explain, if you wanted it to, the lack of notice in KoS. the Battle averted the depopulation, so the depopulationdidn;t happen, so there was nothing to report, except for a samll battle Argrath wasn't at. So it wasn't reported.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_...