Theoretical vs Roleplay Glorantha

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:40:30 +0000

Hi,

I see here on the list two things going on:

The "theoretical" history of Glorantha with background books that has to fit together and

A roleplaying Glorantha that can really take any shape you want it to. You can alter what ever you like to suit the needs of your players (and yourself).
As it says in one of the books one of the players might even become Argrath her/himself.

I try to get the maximum fun out of a game for me and my players, so I ignore or use what ever works in my background. If it changes the outcome of a published scenario/ book then that's fine. I can't think of everything so the scenario books are great in providing a framework on which you can build your own game.

In many cases I feel the divide between theoretical & Roleplay Glorantha is getting greater as the years go on. Newcomers to the game have got to be shown that it's the game that's important not the background in every detail. Some of the best scenarios I've run recently were in the HQ book we even had the fish rain in the Lismelder lands. I'm not sure that fits in with the "real" background, but it was fun.

(Discuss:-)

On 13 Mar 2007, at 15:54, donald_at_... wrote:

> In message <149D175F-A92A-43DF-872D-F28F07D39F58_at_...> David
> Scott writes:
>>
>> On 12 Mar 2007, at 21:19, donald_at_... wrote:
>>
>>> So that's the bigger meaning of that scenario. Is it mentioned in
>>> Gathering Thunder when the food is being retrieved?.....No!
>>
>> It may not have been the bigger meaning, I just thought it was a cool
>> way to expand the scenario with some long term NPCs. I'm sure there
>> are other possible outcomes that don't involve starvation.
>
> Re-reading the bit in BA, I'm sure it was intended at the time.
> Whether that was forgotten by the time GT was being written or
> edited out for space reasons I've no idea.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433