Re: Wyters and Animals

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:33:43 -0000

p 98 - defence certainly makes it tough to hurt with magic. And for Close Combat, you'd think that it would be the toughest thing the clan could find that was mythically appropriate. I suspect that the resistance to being hacked up with a sword would be pretty high for a bronze arm-ring.

If wyter were easy to destroy, we'd not have as many of the things kicking around. =) However, since they are the heart and _soul_ of a community, they are guarded pretty well. Chief's house or temple, both are hard to deal with. And, of course, they tend to warn the chief and anyone around.

> >When you "build" a wyter that is embodied in a sacred animal, there
> >are ceremonies and proceedures that allow you to call it into a new
> >body should the old one wear out. (I don't see as them being
> >immortal).
>
> That ties in with what I was thinking. For MGF there should be
> specific requirements for the animal - descendant of the original.
> Animal born as a twin birth, or a single birth, Particular
> pigmentation, born on an auspiscious day etc etc...

Yes, I should have mentioned something like that. Its got to fit whatever is mythically appropriate for the clan/group's myth.

> about wyter in animals when someone mentioned dissapointment
> that "Runelords" weren't mentioned in TR. I'd not necessarily use
it
> everywhere or in every case, but it struck me as one possibility
when
> converting a PC or NPC from one system to the other.

True. I'd just take an intelligent animal as a follower or ally... simpler, at least.

> Actually it was the idea of a Clan or part therof with their
> Ploughing Wyter in the lead bull that had me thinking about animals
> as Wyters.

Hmmm. That would be for an agricultural clan, certainly. I'm thinking that you really only have a few wyter in your life. Clan, Warband (possibly), Bloodline (possibly, depdening on campaign), Stead (probably not that likely), Tribe, (and of course Sartar)....?

Jeff