Re: Re: Enchanting?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:58:42 +0800

> >--- Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...> wrote:
> >
> >> A quick scan through ST and TR gives the following
> >> list of Enchanting rituals
> >>
> >> Orlanth Adventurous: Enchant Silver Ritual
> >> Daylanus the Conquering Wind: Enchant Tin Ritual
> >> Hedkoranth the Thunder Slinger: Enchant Thunderstone
> >> Ritual
> >> Vingkot Champion: Enchant Iron Ritual
> >> Babeester Gor: Enchant Copper ritual & Enchant Iron
> >> Ritual
> >> Inginew Redson: Enchant Bronze, Enchant Iron,
> >> Enchant Silver, Imbue Sword With Magic
>
> One problem with it though, only an obscure subcult of
> Humakt can enchant bronze. It's easier to find someone
> to enchant iron. Given that many clans have only a single
> smith, even if we allow Inginew to be a subcult of Gustbran
> as well as Humakt you are talking about maybe one person in
> an entire tribe. I suspect Gustbran should also have Enchant
> Bronze as a feat. Even then the smith won't necessarily have
> time to do the work for you what with armour for the warband
> and tools for the farmer.

The list is missing Gustbran's secret Forge Enchantment, though I agree with the rarity of individuals who have access to it. Inginew Redson is much better (since they're feats) at providing such magic for swords only (all of his feats on the above list are in an affinity named "Sword Enchantment rituals"), and the list is missing the Enchant [Banesword] ritual.

IMG, Inginew could be subcult (or more likely hero cult) of Gustbran, providing the ability to enchant swords without the secret, though I wouldn't allow access to Enchant [Banesword] ritual under normal circumstances (i.e., without a player character heroquest). If Gustbran has a subcult/hero cult/son that allows access to sword enchantment, maybe there are other such entities that allow access to enchantment of other classes of items (or other metals). This defeats some of the point of the cult secret (but cult secrets don't come in play in my games very much).