Re: Theoretical vs Roleplay Glorantha

From: denstagnaro <denstagnaro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 05:31:18 -0000

Interesting topic! I see things in a similar light to Ray, but I don't really view the "problems" he cites as truly problems - they are closer to consequences of how we create, explore, and RP in Glorantha. These aren't really something that can be "fixed" to any great degree.

A Myth might be consistent with most, maybe all, of the others in the tribe...but with all the neighboring tribes? The whole world? Consistent forever with every telling? Heh, like we're consistent in this world 100%? ;) I sometimes chuckle when I see how much our historians revise their opinions of historical figures dead but a few hundred years. Myths are there to tie everything together for a people, and we've got that for dozens? of races and a hundred plus societies? Whatever the numbers are, they're big. That's what makes Glorantha unique - not just another fantasy atlas. Myths are not made to tie together into a world history and encyclopedia - no matter how much the God-Learners might wish.

"Theoretical" Glorantha is more than just Myth - it's a world-wide repository of more than 30 years of stuff - and it isn't all cohesive. Fine! There's still more stuff than any regular person can digest in half a year, and the Lhankhor Mhy types can amuse themselves by ironing out the wrinkles. Keeps them out of my hair. The more that gets added to the Glorantha Vault, the better for all of us, right? No one likes everything on the menu. We need as much cohesive, high-quality material there as possible, but it isn't going to be perfect, and that's that. I'm with Ray. Make it good enough - really good - and use it. Don't try to reassemble the Spike. Last I saw, Greg was waaay to tall to be Mostali.

Now, when we move from the Glorantha Vault to our own campaigns, that's the biggest break - and the smallest problem, as I see it. The instant a campaign starts, that's like opening up a whole new pocket universe running in parallel with all the other Glorantha's out there. Time runs at a different pace - the protagonists are different - even the gods themselves act a little differently in this new pocket Glorantha (thanks to the foibles of each different narrator). So, what's wrong with this picture? IMHO, nothing! We're roleplaying, right? Each character, each narrator, is taking on roles (with only as much knowledge of Glorantha as each has *at that moment*) and carrying them forward. Often over a span of years. Usually while tons of new "cohesive" info is published. OK, I don't think we're going to maintain real good consistency with the Vault...let alone all the other pocket Glorantha's.

But should that be anywhere on the goals list of an RP campaign? I'd think RP, social interaction, character development, things like that are probably more the order of the day for most groups. I really agree with David that the campaign should not be bent out of shape to conform with "Offica-Glorantha".

Ray has an interesting comment there about difficulty blending published myth with the more specific, event-based needs of individual adventures. That's an interesting thought I'll be keeping in mind as I start to play HQ. I've got 25+ years of RP experience, however I'm new to HQ, so that does look like it could be a stumbling block. "Adventure-Myth". Hmmmm.....

Well, off to dig some more.

Dennis