Re: Argrath of Pavis - nul points

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:05:46 EST

In a message dated 2/14/01 4:00:59AM, you write:

<< The penalty applies for _all_ spells that has a significant  time duration.

>And there is the evidence of Agrath In Pavis, KOS page 175.

 He only "learned something important about the men of the Lunar  Army" from it, what they were afraid of. There's no evidence  that he used the spell to make the lunars afraid for some future  battle, like when Jaldon Toothmaker was at the wall, that you  suggest is the useful value of the spell.

 --Peter Metcalfe

But if the Magical Contest is one that lasts several days, months, years, then the spell is not of an extended duration it is just a long duration contest, like Kallai' s courting of Niquena. I agree with Peter's point about the implications for the Puppeteer Troupe, but from a rules/magic use POV I would go with Charles. Argrath of Pavis seems to use his secret knowledge gained by singing to, if nothing else, gain an edge in a later contest. I would sugges that the notional narrator of that scene made up the result because of the complete success or narrator decides result of a singing vs. resist singing contest.

Keith N