Re: Beast Valley Tradition

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:00:37 -0000

My gut feeling would be to concentrate on the Centaurs mostly and then sort out the rest later. It may well turn out that most of the rest rarely progress beyond being spiritists or have wierd preferences from beyond the core practices. Centaur practices would have quite a lot in common with the Grazers to whom they may or may not be related - depending on which story you believe. I definitely think that a gender split for Centaurs works well, different practices for mares and stallions.

Don't forget that they have to get by on a day to day basis and most beast-men are hunters, so a hunting practice might be the most popular even though not the most "sacred" practice available to them. Give them archery spirits, with their reputation for archery they surely know how to contact the appropriate spirits.

A rough conversion from my old notes would give a typical Centaur hunter/warrior:
A Stallion Spirit
An Archery Spirit
A Nature Spirit (one of several types depending on what the spirit talkers say is right for the individual)

A typical female Centaur would have :
A Mare spirit
A Fertility spirit
A Nature Spirit (as above)

Some independent practices might be available to the beast-men, like Ganval. Actually that approach may be their only access to Shamanic practices, they do not *need* to have a Shamanic practice of their own.

Satyrs might get drawn to fertility Practices. Perhaps even Ulerian. Most are probably happy with their innate musical magic and develop that.

The big tough guys (Manticores, Minotaurs) might not need or want to worry about spirits enough to commonly become Practitioners. Learning lots of complex lore and rites might be tough on the big but not-so-smart members of the beast-man community. Then there is the possibility that Minotaurs with religious tendencies might get drawn to Urox anyway.

> I've plagiarised loads from Grazer info

Seems about right for the Centaurs.

--
Nic