Re: Beast Valley Tradition

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 07:07:39 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah:

I think you are on track with the idea of a core practice for each type of beast-man. For some of them, this may be an ancestral practice (the satyrs seem likely). For others, it will be more of a standard practice based on the founder (the centaurs, perhaps). Some of these might be a special aspect of an entity known in other religions (ducks seem likely). I think that variety breaks up the otherwise similar appearance of the core practices.

They will also need some enely practices -- the ones that help to propitiate, placate, or banish enemy spirits, particularly al the ghosts that must inhabit Dragon Pass since the Dragon Kill.

I think Nic's idea that Ganval is the shamanic practice seems right.

They will also have access to lots of local independent practices, especially of nature spirits.

You might think about what holds the beast-men together as a community. They may have a practice that is specially for fighting sorcerers or undead, given the proximity of Delecti. They might have one for communicating with foreigners, like Dragonnewts, Uz, and Aldryami. They might have some animist version of the Ernaldan grounder cult, given the proximity of all those storm worshippers. They might have some sort of collective wyter practice.

Are you posting your work somewhere?

Best of luck,
Chris