Conflicts, contests and heroquests

From: newsalor <newsalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:58:27 -0000

I've been thinking about heroquests and inner and outer conflicts. Most of the stories have some outer conflict going on against enemy gods or something. There usually is also some inner conflict going on that tells us something about the gods and society in question. I suspect that Ernalda has myths where it's all inner conflict without too may outside actors.

Now, with HQ I can model inner and outer conflicts with ease, but it seems to me that it will be more fruitful to leave the dice out of some of the conflicts. For example, I could roll dice on the inner conflict and have that resolve the outer conflict too or I could have the player decide what revelation the character has and give some sorts of bonuses to different kind of contests based on that revelation.

So I guess the question really is, what kinds of conflicts should I resolve as contests in heroquests and in what kind of myths. Or something... I know it varies based on the quest, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Olli Kantola