Re: Re: Elk and moose

From: samclau_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:05:31 -0300

>> I provided an image in the post that Yahoo ate, but the answer is
>> Cervus canadiensis, the animal known in British English as the Wapiti.
>>

> I'm somewhat curious as to where Wikipedia got the idea that there is
> any such species as Cervus canadensis, honestly. All my taxonomy
> sources classify American Elk as Cervus elaphus with canadensis as a
> subspecies to distinguish it from the Red Deer of Europe.

Fascinating discussion this. Can I be the first to use the word "wapitoid"? Oh, and y'all forgot the sika.

Below is an abstract. It basically says - no-one knows what the difference is, and that's if you ignore the common names. It also says that in a few years it'll have changed anyway. It is taxonomy.

If anyone's really interested, I could try and get the paper - it might have a phylogeny. A picture!

Sam.

Title: A mitochondrial DNA control region phylogeny of the Cervinae: speciation in Cervus and implications for conservation Author(s): Randi E, Mucci N, Claro-Hergueta F, Bonnet A, Douzery EJP Source: ANIMAL CONSERVATION 4: 1-11 Part 1, FEB 2001 Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 47 Times Cited: 32 Abstract: Sequences from complete mitochondrial control legions (mtDNA CR) were used to infer phylogenetic relationships in 25 Cervinae taxa. Cervus splits into clades that are partially discordant with current species delimitations. Nominate Cervus elaphus includes two divergent clades that must be referred to as species elaphus (European elaphoid deer) and canadensis (Eurasian and North American wapitoid deer). Cervus nippon splits into Japanese and continental plus Taiwan sika. Pere David's deer is nested within Cervus. suggesting that Elaphurus should be merged with Cen,us. European and Persian fallow deer are genetically divergent and distinct species. Sequence length varied due to a CR-I insertion, tandemly repented twice in rusa and sambar deer, sika and wapiti, and repeated up to six times in a clade of Japanese sika. Variable copy numbers of this repeat are also fixed in different sika subspecies, and could be used as a diagnostic marker for subspecies. Sequence variability at the mtDNA CR is informative for defining species and subspecies boundaries, and for locating the geographical origin of captive-reared stocks. Natural and fanned populations of some species have been deeply affected by human management and the conservation of deer populations would be aided by the appropriate identification of the different evolutionary and taxonomic: units.

Here's another one.

Title: The phylogeny and behaviour of Cervidae (Ruminantia Pecora) Author(s): Cap H, Aulagnier S, Deleporte P Source: ETHOLOGY ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION 14 (3): 199-216 OCT 2002 Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 82 Times Cited: 3 Abstract: The phylogenetic relationships of Cervidae within the family and within the infra-order Pecora are still uncertain. Traditionally based on morphological data, phylogenetic trees have increasingly relied on molecular data for the last 15 years, without reaching a satisfying consensus solution. This study intends to explore behaviour, between the rutting and nursing periods, as a new data set for the establishment of phylogenetic relationships between the several species of Cervidae, and also between Cervidae and other living Pecora families (Antilocapridae, Bovidae, Giraffidae and Moschidae). Separate analysis of behavioural data was performed, followed by combined analysis of behavioural characters together with morphological and cytological ones. Simultaneous analysis of all characters showed that Cervidae form a monophyletic group made up of two lineages: plesiometacarpalians or Cervinae (Muntiacus (Dama, Cervus)), and telemetacarpalian cervids including Hydropotinae and Capreolinae (Hydropotes (Capreolus (Alces (Odocoileus, Rangifer)))). Moschidae appear as the sister group of Cervidae, and Bovidae seem more closely related to Cervoidea than are Giraffidae. An Eurasiatic origin for Cervidae is suggested. Our results also indicate that Hydropotes is secondarily antlerless. Ancestral ethotypes were reconstructed for several clades. On the basis of this case study, the relevance of behavioural characters for phylogenetic systematics is discussed.

Aqui na Oi Internet você ganha ou ganha. Além de acesso grátis com qualidade, ganha contas ilimitadas de email com 1 giga cada uma. Ganha espaço ilimitado para hospedar sua página pessoal. Ganha flog, suporte grátis e muito mais. Baixe grátis o Discador em http://www.oi.com.br/discador e comece a ganhar.

Agora, se o seu negócio é voar na internet sem pagar uma fortuna, assine Oi Internet banda larga e ganhe modem grátis. Clique em http://www.oi.com.br/bandalarga e aproveite essa moleza!