Re: Durbandath

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:28:03 +1300

Wulf Corbett:

>On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:36:39 +1300, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> >I don't see the need to give up Durbaddath just so you can exit the
> >hero plane with a different party. If she was forced to abjure the
> >Lunar Empire, she can still be a Durbadathi.

>I was assured she couldn't leave the hero plane except by agreeing to
>be one of our 'party'.

That doesn't require a person to give up an association to her god. Did Yelm switch to the Orlanthi Pantheon when he was rescued by Orlanth? And if she was devout, why didn't she just saw "Screw you", and go to her god like a lion instead of being forced to convert? Would you convert if you were captured by Lunars on the heroplane?

>I had not thought it likely that a Heortling Clan would
>allow a Solar cultist to continue worshipping a Solar deity.

The clan is not the party on the heroplane. You and your fellow heroquesters are. Any arguments about how she is to be incorporated into the clan afterwards could have quite easily been dealt afterwards instead of trying to force her to give up her god there and then. And to the Heortlings, Durbaddath is a lion god.

>And, would the Solar form of worship not involve more than just
>one sole Solar praying without shrine nor Priest?

It depends on whether she is a devotee or not. A devotee gains his magic by emulating his god in his day to day life.

>And,of course, we have committed ourselves to fighting off her cult
>agents of reprisal...

Given the difficulty of fighting off Orlanthi agents of reprisal for a foreign priest (-10), if I were her, I would be rather skeptical of the efficacy of those commitments.

--Peter Metcalfe