Re: "Window-dressing" around HP spend

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:22:32 -0000

> > >When someone spends a HP to change a result, how do
> > >you narrate it?
> >
> > I don't. I ask them to.
>
> You seem to be making a distinction here that I don't
> see the point of, narrowing down "you" to the singular
> and then seeing player narration as something
> different?

As one of David's players, I kind of see it as an opportunity for me to describe one very critical moment for the character in fairly fine detail. Otherwise we are pretty abstract. It's the difference between the player saying:

"OK, Major Victory, Kolbyr defeats the demibird-riding dragonewt"

versus

"OK, I'm spending a Hero Point to make it a victory. Hm...Kolbyr grabs the saddlestrap of the demibird-riding dragonewt and, er, clings to its belly out of reach and disembowls the bird then stabs the 'newt when it falls over. Something like that."

As David notes, this detail often finds its way into the log, which is otherwise written at a fairly high level.

> But those are all things that the PC does, rather than
> ways in which the world/plot changes to suit them?

Correct. I think the way we do it, spending a Hero Point is like doing an incidental solo in a musical combo.

Rob