RE: Re: "Window-dressing" around HP spend

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:30:58 -0500

>From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>
>
>Correct. I think the way we do it, spending a Hero Point is like doing
>an incidental solo in a musical combo.

I tend to think of HP this way. In part, I think, what makes a character "heroic" is that indefinable quality of the moment that makes the character act without hesitation. Not fearlessly, neccessarily, but without the sort of self-doubt that causes the character to stumble and fall.

After all, they're "Hero Points" not "Fate Points," right? ;-)

Now, that said, I think that the true way to do this is to deal with it situation by situation. Let's say we have a character who the player wants to be somewhat negative, or a bumbling sidekick. For that, it's far more entertaining to describe with that HP how the character managed to win by chance despite his shortcomings. So I'd definitely use Jane's method in that case.

In practice I go back and forth, depending on the situation. But most often I make the character shine just that little bit more.

As for assigning narration to players... well I do that quite a lot, but absolutely independent of whether or not they spent a HP to get a win.

Mike

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07