Re: Three Mystical Troll tools

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:04:11 -0700

YGWV This is an old, old email that I found drifting around my email box.

Rich Crofts wrote:

> I have a question about mythic events that have occurred since time
> began. Specifically I am interested in the wounding of Korasting and
> the curse of the Trollkin.
>
> Presumably this action took place in the Otherworlds.

Actually it did not. It was at the Battle of Night and Day, in Kerofinela.

http://www.glorantha.com/new/battle_nightday.html

> Therefore, my
> assumption is that the adamantine claws used by Gbaji to wound
> Korasting would exist in the Otherworlds.

"Adamantine claws" is likely to be metaphorical. Nysalor appeared and was eaten by Kyger Litor, and inside her he maimed her reproductive ability (i.e. her Korasting parts.) The "adamantine" indicates that it was of force sufficient to permanently damage the Great Goddess.

That having been said, there could be inferior duplicates of this curse, created of iron, in the form of said claws worn by troll-fighters.

> Any "instances" of the
> claws in the mundane world would be representations only (gained by
> a heroquester) not the actual claws. Similarly the Otherworld Cloak
> that would enable Kyger Litor to avoid Gbaji would be only found in
> the Otherworlds. Or can /has there been any cross-over in terms of
> these sorts of mystical items?
>
> If indeed the actual items do only exist in the Otherworlds, would
> finding a mundane world representation of said items be useful to
> Kyger Litor herself, if a cultist could take the items to her in
> Wonderhome? My thought would be that representations would have a
> lesser power than the original and therefore are probably not likely
> to overcome the resistances that Kyger Litor would meet in trying to
> alter the mythical event.

You are correct in your assumption. Any mundane world representation would be an inferior copy.

> And, if Kyger Litor did gain the three mystical tools needed to try
> and reverse the curse,

What tools are those?

> what effect would success have on the Great
> Compromise? Would it serve to restore some Law or would the action
> just be a cumulative change leading to even more instability?

That's a good question. unanswered, of course, since curse has proven impossible to heal.

--Greg Stafford