Re: Durbandath

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:31:57 +1300

At 22:27 14/02/01 +0000, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:02:58 +1300, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> >>Naturally, she couldn't continue worshipping a Solar deity (what Clan
> >>would allow that?),

> >So why do they have Elmal then?

>But Elmal did not continue to give worship (or whatever deities give
>to one another) to Yelm - he deserted Yelm and accepted Orlanth's
>hospitality.

He's still a solar deity.

>He brought his own powers with him. How is a lone
>Durbandathi (even a Devotee) to do that?

By emulating the god in his daily life. This isn't Runequest.

>somehow can't see us wandering up to the nearest Solar/Lunar temple
>and saying "Excuse us, this is one of yours, she wants to do a quick
>bit of worship, then come back with us".

Durbadath is not worshipped at Solar or Lunar Temples. It is worshipped at Durbadath shrines.

>Even though our campaign is
>set some undefined time BEFORE the Lunar invasion (we'll decide
>exactly when when we see Sartar Rising), that sounds a little
>high-profile.

Given that there were Lunars among the Sartarites before the invasion (Monrogh, a vassal of Tarkalor, actually had dealings with Tarsh, the Maboder were so friendly to the Empire, they refused to fight in 1602 etc), the presence of a mere Durbadathi will be just as high profile as any other strange god in Sartar, be it Waha, St Aeolus, St Atrox, Yu-kargzant, the God Who Forgot Us, the Pharaoh, Caladra, Kyger Litor, Mostal, Aldrya, Black Arkat, Maran Gor, Our Lord of the Bloody Tusk, the Wyrm Ouroboros, Etyries, the Spider Woman and even some merchants from Tanisor and Teshnos. Sartar is upon a major trade-route and there are always servants of strange gods running about, driving down property values....

>Likewise, I can't see the Clan authorising her setting
>up a Durbandath shrine on the Tula (it would be unique, mind you...).

Set it up _outside_ the Tula then.

>I cannot see our Clan accepting the loyalty of a Lunar (she was
>working for the Lunars who tried to sabotage our HQ - and damn near
>succeeded!) enough to let her back amongst her folks for her cult
>duty.

Then she's not in your clan. But that means diddly-squat as to whether she can still be a loyal follower of the Yinkini. She relates to a clan as a stranger and as a guest. This imposes upon her certain obligations to the clan and likewise the clan to her.

>She didn't exactly run to join us, the Yinkini leapt out of the
>Moonboat while grappling her!

I'm confused. Did the action take place on the Heroplane or not?

--Peter Metcalfe