Re: Durbandath

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:47:02 +1300

At 22:44 14/02/01 +0000, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:28:03 +1300, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> >>I was assured she couldn't leave the hero plane except by agreeing to
> >>be one of our 'party'.

> >That doesn't require a person to give up an association to her god.

>You're not putting the pieces together. We could leave her there, or
>bring her back.

Excuse me but you were claiming that she had to give up her god in order to return with you. This is wrong.

>If we bring her back, we could let her go or she could
>stay in the clan.

There's a number of other options that could have been chosen: allow her as a guest of the clan.

>Let her go, and we risk her bringing Lunar attention
>to us (we're playing before the invasion, but on the border).

What border? There's several hexes of no-man's land between Aldachur and Tarsh. It's not as if there was a crimson curtain between the two countries.

>had considered that to stay in the clan she would not be able or
>allowed to continue actively worshipping a Solar deity (and I still
>find it a bit generous for Orlanthi society).

The Orlanthi are not that dogmatic. They don't have problems with minor gods from other pantheons and wouldn't know Durbadath from Sakkar. To them, Durbadath is just a strange god and Orlanthi makes friends with strange gods in his mythology.

> >Would you convert if you were captured by Lunars on the heroplane?

>Depends. Should she have agreed to convert or be a thrall for ever in
>the Greater Darkness, amongst the Orlanthi who live there/then? That
>was her decision.

She could have chosen to remain knowing that she be rescued later. Or agree to be a thrall then escape once the heroes had left.

> >And to the Heortlings, Durbaddath is a lion god.

>What does that mean? They don't consider him a Solar god?

Means what it says. When an Orlanthi look at a Durbadathi, they do not think "This is a worshipper of the Emperor", or "This is a slave of the Moon". They see these people as being subject peoples of the Empire that fight for them. But they are not in and of themselves Sun worshippers like a Dara Happan is.

--Peter Metcalfe