Common religions and concentrating magic

From: descarga68 <descarga68_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:27:04 -0000

I know I'm not the only person who has found the rules dealing with concentrating magic, the various separate otherworlds, common magic, etc, confusing. Here are some questions that have been puzzling me:
  1. Men of the Sea, p 25, describes the Mirrorsea "pantheon" as a common religion with gods and majestic spirits but no tradition spirits or divine aid. Instead it provides common magic charms and feats, both of which worshippers can keep even if they concentrate their magic on the spirit world or the gods world. Is this the case with other pantheons whose magic is normally mixed? For instance, is this true of the East Isles, Kralori, and Teshnan pantheons?
  2. If a Rightarm islander is an initiate of Pelaskos and concentrates his magic, retaining his Songs of Marsh and Placid Waters feats and charms, he should be able to use the feats as active abilities, correct? What about the charms?
  3. HQ, p 57, lists a number of Teshnan cults which provide both affinities (suggesting an other side in the gods world) AND talents (which are supposed to originate in the inner world). Can worshippers of these cults concentrate at all? Can they keep both affinities and talents if they do?
  4. People who concentrate their common magic, either by concentrating their talents or by the Selfrock teaching, cut themselves off from the otherworlds, correct? Does this mean that they cut themselves off from worship of otherworld entities? For instance, would this concentration prevent them from functioning as a lay member of a church or a communal worshipper of a pantheon or from benefiting from its blessings, from divine aid, etc? By the same token, can an Issaries devotee (concentrated by definition on the gods world) participate in rites honoring Flesh Man, who provides talents to the Heortlings, but who is, after all, another one of the Lightbringers?
  5. The entity worshipped in a common religion resides by definition in the inner world, correct? If so, how do people heroquest into the myths of such an entity (eg, "Berentos has quested into the myths of the Seabird Army several times, clashing with both Orlanthi and Sofali turtle folk," Men of the Sea, p 72)? My understanding was that in order to do a heroquest, one had to cross over to the other side --- gods world, spirit world, or saint plane, depending on which other side one's religion gave one access to --- and from there travel to the hero plane (or gods' war, which I think is an interchangeable term, yes?). If this is the case, I am puzzled as to how Avelania --- who, since she provides only common magic, would seem to reside in the inner world --- grants her worshippers access to her actions during the Great Darkness. Did Berentos have to get a Sofali shaman or an Orlanthi priest (ie, his ritual enemies) to help him cross over to the other side? Alternatively, if the Avelania cult does know how to cross over to the other side, which otherworld does it get you to?
  6. Do other common religions involve heroquesting? Some of them, like Imarja in Esrolia or the Parondpara of the East Isles, are absolutely central to the identities of the people that follow them. It seems as though they must have great volumes of stories about them that people should be using for heroquests.
  7. Do you have to concentrate your magic to learn symbolic sight/spirit face/soul vision/moon eye? If a hero belongs to the relevant cults (eg, he is both an initiate of Gerendetho and a novitiate of a Lunar regimental immortal), can he or she learn more than one of these four otherworldly perception abilities?

PS I hope this is the right list for these questions. If not, please advise.