Re: Re: Common religions and concentrating magic

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:31:34 -0400

On September 9, 2007 08:44 pm, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > This is called Initiation.
>
> Not quite - I envision the following:
> (remember, this is how I'd do it itf I re-wrote this part of the rules)
>
> Lay Member (No concentration possible)
> Initiate (concentration possible, but only on a single God)
> Devotee (Concentration Mandatory on a single God)
>
> There's really no reason to be a "Concentrated initiate" rather than a
> devotee - you'd get the restrictions of a current Devotee (can't have other
> magic) without the Feats of the Devotee.

I think this comes down once again to what Concentration is supposed to represent. If it is a binding to an Otherworld (or a severing from all 3) then it needs its own place. If that's the case, I would completely remove the "makes magic easier to learn" part reflected in the Hero Point cost. I might keep the "half-cost for improvising feats" that Theists get, but I'm somewhat doubtful of that. (Especially if Feats as active abilities become the new way of expressing Initiates anyway.)

I'd give some kind of lessened problem with the otherworld in question, and maybe something to reflect your less mixed nature (attacks on your spirit nature might be less effective if you are concentrated on theism, for example).

In other words, I'd make the bonuses and weaknesses somewhat esoteric. Most people don't concentrate. Those that do are hardcore magicians and often deal with the otherworld on a far more constant basis, where these tradeoffs make sense.

> > I'd say that just about everyone among the Heortlings engages in worship
> > of their local spirit, without having any shamans to intervene. They
> > collect berries from that spirit, sacrifice to this one to keep crows
> > out of the barley, offer gifts to the creek over there, etc.
>
> The problem is that the rules don't really support this. Basically, the
> Magic Rules need to be re-written. I'm just commenting on ideas I've had
> for 'em.

Indeed. Personally, I would get rid of Lay person, Spiritist, and communal worshipper (and adherent). That level is effectively no different frm common magic. I would think what form that level takes is religion based, and not otherworld based. I would make common magic the magic you can get without going to the otherworld, which include magic that is part of the local religion that is accessible at this level. The common magic religions are the real backbone of everyday practice in Glorantha, and that's what I would try to simulate by this. You get a broad range of mixed magics as part of your common magic/X religion keyword. It is almost certainly uniquely tailored to your clan and locale. I would remove the "Common Magic comes from entities in the mundane world" restriction. In my view, it is entirely possible to get common magic from an otherworld entity who resides in the otherworld - it just is magic that entity provides without you needing to venture into the otherworld to get it. (Sacrifice to Ernalda, get this minor blessing/feat. Not the same as going to the Otherworld and learning a feat, or being intiatiated so as to incorporate an affinity into yourself.)

That's the major shift in presentation I would make. Rework common magic on those lines, and common magic religions as more structured by the homeland and local circumstance. Then specialized magic involves beginning to focus on a given otherworld (since it is always tied to a given entity or teacher - a god/hero, a majestic spirit, a saint or school founder). Concentration then becomes something linked more with otherworld travel/safety/knowledge than a hero point cut. Devotion level (the 50 percenters) presumably still have to concentrate (although maybe not) but regardless are again trading off more power in a narrower domain for breadth.

> > Me too. I hope the revised HQ for Glorantha will take a different
> > presentation than the one I did for the first edition.
>
> This is me, hashing them out :-).

This is me, joining in the hash. :-)

LC