RE: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:07:50 GMT

In message (no message ID) Jane Williams writes:

>> Do you have some ideas about the method utilized by the lunar
>> to kill orlanth (before fimbulwinter) ?
>
>Taking Whitewall was what did it. For a fairly mundane (not prosaic,
>mundane) description of how that was done, read King of Sartar - it'll
>tell you where the meteors landed and so on.
>
>But the more interesting question of why Whitewall was so crucial isn't
>in there. Sure, it was the last Great Temple (in RQ terms), but all the
>clan-level shrines remained. What we came with on the WhiteWall list was
>the idea that due to gradually escalating magic on both sides, Orlanth
>was in some sense "tied" to WhiteWall - actually physically present there
>to some extent since the Bat was repulsed right back at the start of the
>siege, and increasingly so as time went on. I'm not sure if we ever put
>the conclusions on the WWWiki, but Rob used them in his game, so you can
>see what that looked like immediately post-Bat in his chronicles.
>www.whitewall.info - sorry, I can't find the exact link from this PDA.
>
>There also seems to have been some sort of synchronised "killing" of
>Ernalda, since her magic stops as well, but I have no idea how that
>works.

There was a bit of debate about what was actually meant by dead in the case of a great god. While the Lunars attempted to kill Orlanth and appeared to succeed as far as the Orlanthi were concerned there were certainly winds in Glorantha so Orlanth was still alive in some sense.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the Lunars managed to force Orlanth out of the middle air in Dragon Pass so that the traditional ways of contacting him didn't work. Ernalda followed him which the Lunars didn't expect because her absence would damage Tarsh nearly as badly as Sartar.

Of course something as un-Gloranthan as forcing Orlanth out of the middle air was never going to work for long and eventually he would have forced holes in the barrier. Either Kallyr's or Broyan's HQ at the Battle of Iceland seems to have first penetrated the barrier.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/