Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:17:05 +0100 (BST)

> > > There also seems to have been some sort of
> synchronised "killing" of
> > > Ernalda, since her magic stops as well, but I
> have no idea how that
> > > works.

> > As Greg and others have pointed out each time you
> ask this question:
> > One cannot live without the other.
>
> I suspect one should parse Jane's comment as '...no
> idea how that works in my Glorantha'.

That, and in the general
published-and-used-by-everyone-else Glorantha, in which (as we point out every time that "explanation" is given), no such dependency is documented or even suggested at. There's mythic precedent for the idea that if Ernalda "goes to sleep", Orlanth goes off looking for her, and the Great Darkness follows. There's none to suggest that if you send Orlanth away, Ernalda is weakened in the slightest. It's happened often enough, she just carries on with her other (non-husband in Orlanthi areas) protectors.

The Fimbulwinter is described (by Broyan, and it's prety obvious anyway), as a repeat of the Great Darkness. So to do it, the Lunars need to do whatever caused the Great Darkness. It could be worth a look at what *they* think that was, now that we (well, those people who've studied Lunar mythology) have more information on the subject. In Orlanthi mythology, it's

1) kill the sun
2) Ernalda goes to sleep
3) Orlanth goes looking for her

And those are in causality order, even if chronological is meaningless.

Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html