Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:54:41 GMT

In message <fdrav5+gc4n_at_...> "ttrotsky2" writes:
>Jane:
>
>> That, and in the general
>> published-and-used-by-everyone-else Glorantha, in
>> which (as we point out every time that "explanation"
>> is given), no such dependency is documented or even
>> suggested at.
>
>Prior to OiD, I presume you mean?

Even OiD doesn't mention a dependancy, just that Ernaldan magic is also affected.

>> There's mythic precedent for the idea
>> that if Ernalda "goes to sleep", Orlanth goes off
>> looking for her, and the Great Darkness follows.
>> There's none to suggest that if you send Orlanth away,
>> Ernalda is weakened in the slightest.
>
>She evidently is in Greg's Glorantha, whether its been documented
>before or not, and whether or not it makes sense in your Glorantha (or
>mine, for that matter). We clearly *are* in a 'YGWV' situation,
>whether we expected to be or not, and there's no particular reason
>Greg should help us with that. OTOH, there's no particular reason why
>anyone shouldn't, either...

I agree the dependency justification is rather weak. Too reminiscent of Victorian melodrama where the poor little woman wastes away pining for her lost love. I'm sure Greg doesn't mean it that way but it does give that impression.

My explanation for Ernalda's death in the Great Darkness is that faced with overwhelming hordes of chaos she embraced death as a means of escape from total destruction.

Now how that relates to Ernalda's disappearance after Whitewall I'm not sure. If we're taking the view that it was a Lunar attempt to recreate the Great Darkness then some Ernaldan priestess must have left WW through Ty Kora Tek's realm as part of a HQ. That does fit with the appearance of Voria at the Battle of Iceland.

>> So to do it, the Lunars need to do whatever
>> caused the Great Darkness. It could be worth a look at
>> what *they* think that was, now that we (well, those
>> people who've studied Lunar mythology) have more
>> information on the subject.
>
>That's probably the approach I'd use to the problem in my Glorantha,
>too, when it crops up. As it will, at some point. Dunno the answer
>yet, though.

I can't see anything in Lunar mythology that helps. Probably because most of it relates to the birth of the goddess and subsequent events. However they aren't restricted to their own mythology, they've got Dara Happen, Carmenian and Rinliddi mythology to work with. The College of Magic could even have access to chaos myths. Between all that lot there should be enough to bring on the Great Darkness. The tricky bit is doing it without killing the Sun.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/