Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:36:22 -0000

> Then Greg's Glorantha is in direct contradiction of standard
mythology. (Don't start the "he can if he wants" nonsense - of course he can and of course if he does, we either adopt if we want to, or laugh and ignore if we want to, same as any other won't-fit variation from anyone else.)

Jane, what on earth are you talking about? As far as I can tell, you haven't a clue about mythology or mythological thought. Orlanth is inextricable linked with Ernalda, and vice versa. Both gods get much of their meaning and power from each other.

This is no deep hidden secret, but has been well-known and discussed for at least ten years. Heck, one of my complaints about how I wrote the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda in Enclosure 1 is that I didn't make that point more obvious.

And if it isn't obvious to you yet, I think the forthcoming Heortling Mythology book has several stories to that effect.

> The question is what Glorantha the OP is operating in (sorry, via
PDA I can't check who that was). I'm assuming the standard as-published one until (s)he says otherwise.

OP? What the hell are you talking about? Are you analogizing mythology to a computer program?

Jeff