Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:15:16 GMT

In message <116870.21068.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>--- "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...> wrote:

>> I think the real question is "What did the Lunars
>> think they were doing?"
>
>Agreed. It may be that what happened was what they
>expected, or maybe it wasn't.
>
>But, big but: which Lunars? What do you bet there were
>several factions involved, with different opinions,
>and all arguing? If so, take a look at who's in favour
>immediately afterwards: that's who guessed right!

There may have been several factions sticking their noses in but there aren't many who have the magical resources to take on something this big. The only one I can think of is headed up by Tatius.

>> (Seriously, if it's the Great Darkness, shouldn't LM
>> magic stop, too? And
>> Issaries? Both of them go into the underworld with
>> Orlanth, no?)
>
>I think so.... and CA, too. I *think* the logic was
>that any deity whose magic is *dependent* on Orlanth,
>and derives solely from him, stops working. But I'm
>not at all sure, and sorry, at gone midnight, I'm not
>going to pull out OiD and check the list. If they're
>all, including Orlanth, absent-due-to-LBQ, they should
>all be affected the same way. So possibly Orlanth
>*isn't* absent-due-to-LBQ?

OiD pg.43. "No magic works if it comes from Orlanth, Ernalda or their subcults". Kolatings are limited to spirits they have already bound and Valind's magic also fails. Further on there's a list of deities with magic both other Lightbringers and unrelated gods. Curiously Urox retains his magic when the other storm gods don't and neither Ana Gor nor Maran lose their magic. No mention is made of Asrelia, Ty Kora Tek or Babeester Gor.

If it's Ernalda marriage to Orlanth that's the reason for her magic to fail then her's should be the only female magic affected. So all the old women will still have theirs. In fact it's odd that Barntar, son of Orlanth and Ernalda retains his magic yet his wife Mahome doesn't. Of course if the Lunars are primarily attacking Ernalda this makes more sense.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/