Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:41:02 -0400

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 9:37 am, donald_at_... wrote:
> This could well be the myth Tatius used, get Orlanth
> outlawed and find Ernalda a suitable protector. Only
> the priestesses of Ernalda manage to switch myths on
> him and Ernalda goes to sleep rather than accepting
> another husband. Which means the earth priestesses
> Broyan has working with him are a lot more important
> than we thought. He may be High King but they're
> running the show.

That's certainly one option. I still like a little more that he's just using one that isn't directly related to Orlanth at all - he's linking Orlanth to someone else.

This is part of the "gears" that I'm less concerned with. The important part to me is only whether trying to take out Ernalda and Orlanth was the plan (or just Orlanth) and whether or not it was an attempt to do a Great Darkness.

> Page 60, the Ritual. At the begining food for a feast is
> "taken away for future need" which links to the Fimblewinter.
> Meaning that at least some priestesses predicted what was
> going to happen.

I happen to like the idea that the Ernaldans went to sleep deliberately, knowing it was the way to turn the ritual to their favour in the long run.

> My feeling is that many Ernaldans know what's going on in
> advance but very few Orlanthi do. Broyan is one of the few
> who does but not Kallyr or the other named leaders.

Wht Bry and not Kallyr? Just curious. I could see some powerful Ernaldan faction not telling either, to be honest. Or that it could be known from earlyish in the seige.

LC