Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:51:01 -0400

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 10:15 am, donald_at_... wrote:

> There may have been several factions sticking their noses
> in but there aren't many who have the magical resources to
> take on something this big. The only one I can think of
> is headed up by Tatius.

I'm good with Tatius.

> OiD pg.43. "No magic works if it comes from Orlanth,
> Ernalda or their subcults". Kolatings are limited to
> spirits they have already bound and Valind's magic
> also fails.

Kolat and Valind?

> Further on there's a list of deities with
> magic both other Lightbringers and unrelated gods.
> Curiously Urox retains his magic when the other storm
> gods don't and neither Ana Gor nor Maran lose their
> magic. No mention is made of Asrelia, Ty Kora Tek or
> Babeester Gor.

That's interesting. The fact it is virtually ALL Storm Gods makes me think it is a Pelorian myth, and NOT a Heortling myth.  (Or simply one we don't know very well/one that is no longer known to the Heortlings.)

> If it's Ernalda marriage to Orlanth that's the reason
> for her magic to fail then her's should be the only
> female magic affected.

Right. There is still an argument to be made that this wasn't a cunning Ernaldan plan, just an accidental effect that the heortlings then exploited.

> So all the old women will still
> have theirs. In fact it's odd that Barntar, son of
> Orlanth and Ernalda retains his magic yet his wife
> Mahome doesn't. Of course if the Lunars are primarily
> attacking Ernalda this makes more sense.

It would, although it could also be an accident of the Dragon Pass worship. I have been under the impression what is an independent subcult and what isn't varies from place to place in Orlanthi culture. So Barntar in Dragon Pass is never worshipped as a subcult of Orlanth. But he might be elsewhere. So the same might be true of Mahome somewhere else.

(None of this explains Kolat and Valind losing power but not Urox.)

LC