Re: Re: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:36:17 GMT

In message <fdtqa5+9kav_at_...> "ttrotsky2" writes:

>It's "Orlanth, Ernalda, [and] their subcults", plus Valind (OiD p43).
>Later discussions on this list revealed that, for these purposes,
>Vinga counts as a subcult of Orlanth. Valind's a bit more of a puzzle,
>IMO.
Kolat shamans lose access to unbound spirits as well. My thought was that it was the Sons of Umath who were affected but then why is Urox not. I do struggle to conceive of the magic that affects only these particular sources of magic. I'm tempted to conclude the list is wrong in some way but until I get a clear idea of what was done, at least IMG, I'm not sure what needs correcting.

>I think 'Orlanth is dead' is what the Lunars and their supporters were
>saying, and what many Heortlings feared was the case - not necessarily
>a description of what *actually* happened. It's a phrase you'd hear
>quite a bit, not a description of events.

I agree, it's the phrase used by those who don't know what happened to explain things. Given that the book is written on the basis that the PCs don't know what happened and won't learn it's a reasonable title.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/