Re: Re: where's the Scenario?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:24:30 GMT

In message <199255.10638.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Which works fine for one PC, for one scenario: good
>example, and more or less matches my "fiddle backstory
>to add a remote cousin" one. But that wasn't the
>question. We're being advised to do this for ALL PCs,
>not just one. And not just for the one scenario: for
>all of them. Wouldn't you hit relationship overload?
>Every planet you visit, you meet an old gambling
>acquaintance, or a longlost cousin, or a school
>friend? What happens, when you're doing a lot of
>pre-written scenarios? Though this may be the wrong
>place to ask this, because from the look of it, none
>of us are...

You're right that it could get silly and in a sense it's worse than this. The relationships should be stronger than an old aquaintance. In a family oriented society like the Heortlings a cousin may be enough. In Dara Happa a member of the same Association, etc.

That's why I suggested in an ongoing campaign a relationship with an existing NPC who the PC already has a relationship with. The important thing is to get a level of commitment from the PCs to the NPCs.

So if I was going to transfer Well of Souls over to Sartar for use in your swords campaign I'd make the weaponmaster a resheathed Humakti. One of your players is an old battle comrade while another has heard rumours that he has betrayed his oaths. A more typical party is probably easier to link in.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/