Re: Cragspider and the Night Dragon during the 2nd Age

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:00:11 -0000

I had been wondering something similar myself, but hadn't got around to checking the sources. My somewhat hazy memory sugfests WB&RM said something to the effect that the Black Dragon was allied to Cragspider because of favours she did it before time. Looking again at the source you site I see

"[Arachne Solara] caught Cragspider, and she was offered the Dragon's Choice. She freed it, the Night Dragon, though it offered itself to her. Then Cragspider witnessed cosmic deeds, such as the seduction of Larnste to make Dragon Pass, or the weaving of the sun and earth to make the world. Through this she knew herself well enough to survive that kind of merger with the cosmic entity."

So my assumption would be that Cragspider first encountered the Night/Black Dragon in the Godtime (The Lesser Darkness?), but their ways parted and the Dragon, along with the other True Dragons retreated from the world and slept from before the Dawn until the Dragonkill War, at which point it awoke, and re-encountered Cragspider. Recognising her, and the debt it owed her (Dragonnewts certainly take such things seriously, so I imagine Dragons do too) it became an ally. Now whether it's role in Fighting Chaos was influenced by these early Trollish encounters (or whether the Trolls fought particulalrly against Chaos because of the influence of the Night Dragon) is another question entirely - Maybe one that would be better framed on the WoG list as it is straying off the "Newbie friendly" role of this one?