Re: MesoAmerica-informed Glorantha?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:43:50 -0000

Two connected points...

Nicholas:
> > Are there any cultures in Glorantha that have been
> > informed by
> > pre-Columbian civilizations in Central America
> > (i.e., Aztec, Maya, Olmec, etc.)?

The reference to 'Flowery Wars' in Caladraland (Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars, p. 134) has occasionally brought up suggested parallels between that realm and various Mesoamerican 'analogues'. However, that really wasn't intended: Peter said he was going for an INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM vibe in the main (which is more than fine in my book!).

I've done a little work on the place and, sure, there are a few further influences; but they tend to be taken at the 'first principles' level, and moulded to something rather different. I wouldn't say they're any more prominent/determinant than in the dragonewts, or with Hon-Eel and the blood-maize rites.

Jane:
> I believe at least some of Stu Stansfield's work on
> ducks/keets was heavily influenced by that sort of
> culture...

Aye, ducks is curious. It does seem to be de rigueur to take a nuanced, considered setting and widdle all over it. Thus my Caladran ducks [which I can't honestly say exist in My Glorantha(s): I like the Drulzek Heads, tho'... I think thems might be keepers] do tend to have some similarities. Like so:

http://duxploitation.blogspot.com/2007/12/picture-that-started-it- all.html

And so:

http://duxploitation.blogspot.com/2007/12/durulz-gods-mythographic- addendum.html

And not so:

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/phidition/vault/Scoriaguard_Rumbleriders_He roband.pdf

> ... though I don't know enough about the real
> history to know to what extent it was "Hollywoodised"
> before use.

It does use the Showcard Gothic font, if that's anything to go by...

Best,

Stew.