Re: MesoAmerica-informed Glorantha?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:22:46 -0800

Nicholas

>To be honest, I was looking for ammo to lure some mesoamerican
>archeologists & anthropologists into a game. One thing I was toying
>with a bit was 'conqistorizing' the Trader Princes and making
>analogous changes to the Wenelians, but I hadn't thought it through
>too far.

I once ran a RuneQuest scenario called "Stop Cortez!" at a convention. Players were given Mexica and went on a heroquest (I think they might have gone to Mictlan but I can't remember now) to gain powers to stop the conquistadores. I think the best solution was the Ignite spell, handy against the gunpowder. I was assuming players knew the RQ2 spell list, so I don't know how well that part would work in HeroQuest.

Anyway, I don't know that a loosely-inspired Gloranthan culture would be that much of a draw. Wouldn't people who know the real thing backwards and forwards keep getting annoyed at what Glorantha got "wrong?"

In general, Gloranthan cultures seem far more informed by actual anthropology than those in most games, so you could probably pick just about any area.

Oh, and if you really want conquistadores, the Jrusteli of the Imperial Age could be handy. They set up colonies on most of the coasts of Glorantha, including conquering Umathelan barbarians who were probably practicing slash & burn agriculture (probably not as civilized as the classic Mayans, but you could start there -- I used New Guinea as a model myself).

--

David Dunham