Re: Re: Travel Narratives in Glorantha

From: Lev Lafayette <lev_lafayette_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:31:50 -0800 (PST)

> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane Williams
> > > But anyhow, Levi-Strauss is good.
> >
> > He seems to have written rather a lot. Any
> particular
> > recommendations?
>
> I'm failing to think of something accessible, so
> I'll say Structural
> Anthropology, one of his 'biggies'. I haven't read
> tons of
> Levi-Strauss, but based on what I have read, I'm
> unsure about his
> utility for gaming relative to Campbell.

I'd say Structural Anthropology I and II (I especially liked the story of how the doubter decided to become a shaman) and The Raw and the Cooked.

As for utility the Runes of Glorantha have a great deal of Levi-Strauss in them, insofar they represent metaphor and knowledge expressed in structures of binary opposites. Further, Levi-Strauss' distinction between synchronic and diachronic provide a very rich means to develop mythic stories in
HeroQuest/Glorantha.

There's a neat summary here:

http://www.michaelbryson.net/academic/levi-strauss.html

HTH, Lev