Re: Re: status of hq publications

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:48:29 GMT

In message <fpf344+kfnk_at_...> "markmohrfield" writes:

>> The thing that it has always seemed to me that PDFs fail at utterly
>is attracting new or returning readers. The FLGS always had a handful
>of people who'd buy anything Gloranthan immediately and a crowd of
>RuneQuest gronards who'd browse and buy some of the time. As far as I
>can tell a PDF will only ever sell to someone who knows a book is
>coming out, who knows that they want it and is prepared to actively go
>look for it. Most of the people reading this list probably fall into
>that category, but I don't think we're enough to rebuild the market
>without getting some people to join us.
>
>But is this any different from the current situation? How frequently
>do FLGS actually stock Gloranthan products? I've rarely seen them do
>so, but I admit this could be due my living in a gamer-poor
>environment.

The problem is stock turn. My FLGS has one or two copies of everything Gloranthan in print and some that's out of print. Both HQ and Mongoose RQ. He sells two or three copies when something first comes out, gets a copy for himself and the rest stay on the shelves. Glorantha is not that different from most other RPGs either. Considering that about half his stock (by value) is RPGs I'm not convinced it makes sense for any retailer to carry much stock and unless there are several local customers for a line they'll tend not to bother.

He is adament that games shops are necessary to bring in new gamers and he certainly runs a lot of events. However they are mostly collectable cards and miniatures events where the publisher provides prizes and turnover to stock holding is good.

So yes, having stock on a game shop shelves is helpful but it's not enough. And I'm not sure in the context of an RPG what's needed.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/