Re: Introducing new players

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:12:32 -0800

YGWV CJ wrote:

> However we also had one player who actively disliked HQ, and appeared
to be trying to sabotage to get back to playing RQ. He certainly was not going to drop out of the group,

Every time I read of this kind of problem player I am struck by surprise (I am continually naïve) and sorrow.
If you were playing soccer and one of the player was deliberately sabotaging the game, would you ask him back? If you played Arkham Horror, and one of the players tried to make everyone lose instead of win, would you ask him back? Are gamers so bereft of friends that they will not politely tell one of their group---"we're playing a game you don't like for a while we'll let you know when we are playing something you like.

> So what kind of scenario works well on introducing new players,
without requiring a great knowledge of glorantha, but can showcase the system? Any thoughts on ways to introduce gamers used to other systems?

My method is to hand out a blank piece of paper with the announcement, "This is your starting character sheet." I'll explain the game system (ignoring extended resolutions), give the players a list of the starting skill levels they will be able to apply, briefly explain the setting ("This is set in an ancient urban setting, with gods kind of like those of the Romans), and start to play.

I go slow, letting people ask questions, proving bits of necessary information, and never, never, never try to explain the world, the extended cosmology or theory behind anything. The interests of the players come to the fore, I try to meet their expectations with the story at hand, and sometimes say, "There's nothing like that here," if that is appropriate.

--

    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,