Re: Divine Wrath

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:43:24 -0500

Andrew Barton wrote:

> The section on 'Divine Wrath' in TR seems to say clearly that Spirits
> of
> Retribution are never sent against indiviudals, because the gods can't
> tell
> them apart. They fall on the community, and it's then the task of the
> community to work out who are the guilty individuals and deal with
> them.
>
> Even in TR, though, many of the specific descriptions of such Spirits
> are
> described as affecting individuals. Often, the severity of their
> effect
> depends on the target's religious rank, which only has meaning for
> individuals.
>
> What's going on here?

I, priest and goddi of the Maple Pancake Clan, have determined that you are a very bad person. We've had crops fail for 2 years now and murrain in our sheep. _You_ are the source of our problems.

Now that we KNOW where the problem is, we can focus the wrath of the god a bit more closely.
And, of course, becoming apostate focuses the divine wrath NICELY. Leaving a pantheon shows up very well on the divine-radar, resulting in godly smitage.

Jeff