Re: Divine Wrath

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:15:39 -0800

> The section on 'Divine Wrath' in TR seems to say clearly that Spirits of
> Retribution are never sent against indiviudals, because the gods can't
tell
> them apart. They fall on the community, and it's then the task of the
> community to work out who are the guilty individuals and deal with them.

The God, viewing the situation from his seat in the god world, just knows that "something is wrong with the greyrock clan". He doesn't know that Oddi has slept with his brother's wife. AOR's come around whenever the worship ceremony occurs, but if nothing is "wrong", they go away.

> Even in TR, though, many of the specific descriptions of such Spirits are
> described as affecting individuals. Often, the severity of their effect
> depends on the target's religious rank, which only has meaning for
> individuals.

Priests and God-talkers can tell the AoR who to chastise (TR 81), or sometimes the AoR can "sense" the wrongness in the person on its own. If the Priests *can't* direct the AoR to a specific person, then it attacks the whole community! This is the God "giving notice" to the entire group to figure out what is going on and put a stop to it, before He gets really annoyed.Annoyance is generally in the form of bigger AoR's showing up, though curses might afflict the clan ("Refuse to solve the problem, eh? Here, let's see if a tornado will change your mind!")

Some gods (to be detailed in ST) have their own AoR's (most just "use" the ones from Orlanth & Ernalda as detailed on TR 81-85). A God with his own AoR will only punish his own followers - the "community" is "members of my cult", not "the entire clan".

Roderick