Re: Re: Introducing new players

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:17:19 +1100

On 26/02/2008, kyle3054 <KyleSchuant_at_...> wrote:
> In sports, the team exists, and whoever's interested in that sport
> goes to join the team. The activity is chosen first, and the people
> are chosen second.
>
> In rpg groups, first they form the team and _then_ they choose what to
> play. The people are chosen first, and the activity is chosen second.

To me this is a "bug" not a "feature". The idea that all roleplayers are a "team" who have to do things collectively is a bit odd - and it flies in the face of reality. Some people's idea of fun-in-roleplaying is radically different to mine and to pretend otherwise is to unconsciously annoint one position as orthodox - to the detriment of everyone involved.

If people are going to get upset because their group plays a game they don't like, they should not consciously or unconsciously sabotage the game - they should elect to bow out and not feel like this means they are entering voluntary exile.

If people want to play HeroQuest they should find people who want to play HeroQuest. They shouldn't be limited to their 'normal' clique and they shouldn't make that clique feel obliged to participate in games that do not remotely interest them.

--
John Machin