RE: What's The Story? Under the Red Moon Challenge

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:59:28 +0000

Good points coming out here, there's a lot of detail in that picture.

The location - looking out of the window, we're on an upper floor, or at least on a hill. No ground visible beyond, much less other buildings. The walls are stone, with arched doorways and window, but the floor is wood. An upper floor room in a building whose style is unusual for Sartar. One of the Towers, maybe? Somewhere in Boldhome, with those steep cliffs? It might even be Whitewall, though to me the stone doesn't look white.

The window - what is that metalwork in it? What does the pattern mean? Are those curtains, with tiebacks? Two big candleholders and one smaller, very big candles and a lot of them, tables, that weird chair, and even what's acting as a coffee table - whoever furnished this place had money. So why do we have a grain bin in there, and open?

The picture of Sartar could easily be a temporary fixture, it's painted on hide. Brought here deliberately, though, in that case.

The point about Kallyr sitting while others stand is a good one, but I don't think that necessarily mkes this "her place". It could simply be a setting where others defer to her (and if the group see the picture of Sartar as significant, that would make sense).

Or, I still think there's something odd about that chair, with those axes on it. That isn't just something to sit on, it means something. There's something odd about Kallyr's armour, too, from what I can see of it, and armour that doesn't protect generally means ritual significance. I'd label it as the symbols of power of an Earth cult (given the grain as well), except that it's upstairs not underground, and Kallyr isn't the Earth Cult type beyond the basics of being female.

That cup on the floor - is that wine spilt from it? It's red, yes.... I can't really tell on this screen, but it looks the wrong shade to be wine, and it's flowed like something thicker.

Still no conclusions or story here, sorry.